West Virginia State Police are investigating a bizarre Morgantown motor vehicle accident that caused the death of Nathan Allen Shrout, 38 of Reedsville. Shrout apparently climbed out of the moving vehicle, a 2000 Ford SUV driven by Justin M. McCloud also of Reedsville. Charges against McCloud who was driving the vehicle on W.Va. Route 7 in Monongalia County Wednesday night are pending.
The preliminary investigation has found that the McCloud SUV was not found at the scene of the accident. It was discovered on Kingwood Pike and was driven by a third person, a Matthew Paul Shaffer.
One can speculate that there are many potential story lines that could emerge from this situation. One thing we do know for sure is that the accident sounds suspicious and there are many questions that need to be answered.
* Why did the driver flee the scene of the accident?
* Does this incident qualify as leaving the scene of an accident?
* Why didn’t the driver, McCloud, immediately stop and call 911 to get assistance?
* What was the actual cause of Shrout’s death?
* Was Shrout killed beforehand and his body merely dumped?
We will keep you posted here as more information becomes forthcoming. Although the facts of this case are not entirely clear at this point in time, Adams Legal Group, PLLC in Morgantown WV provides experienced, competent legal services for all of your car accident, personal injury, wrongful death and even criminal defense needs. Please visit our website for more information.